If you are a new mom then you should know Breastfeeding Basics for New Moms. But many times we often forget that pumping can be our friend in the breastfeeding journey!
In fact most women don’t even think about breastpumping as an option in case they are not able to feed.
In many cases of low milk supply it’s recommended to pump so that you can increase your milk supply and feed your baby.
You still need your obstetrician to diagnose if you really have low milk supply and possible route to resolving it.
What is breast pumping?
Breastpumping is the way with which you pump the breastmilk via a breastpump(electric or manual) and then feed that milk through a bottle.
When should you choose to breastpump?
You should choose a breastpump in case of –
- Low milk supply
- Delay in Breastfeeding at birth
- If there is any gap in Breastfeeding and you want to start Breastfeeding again
- If you suffered any breast related problem like breast mastitis or blocked milk ducks or inverted nipple or sore nipples and was unable to feed
- If you need to go back to work but still want to feed your baby
- If you seem to have a slow start and you want to feed baby breastmilk
- If you have over milk supply
- If you feel your breast engorged
Manual or electric breastpump, which is better?
If you need to breast pump everyday for 4-6 times a day then investing in an electric breastpump is better. But if you plan to breastpump rarely or not on a fixed schedule then manual breastpump is better for you.
Is breastpump milk any less than directly Breastfeeding?
No. If you choose to breastpump and feed your baby then that is your choice or your need of the hour. It doesn’t make you any less mother.
Do I need a schedule for breastpumping?
If you regularly use breastpump to extract milk from your breasts it can be beneficial for you to increase and maintain your breastmilk supply.
How to use breastpump to boost your milk supply?
- Use the correct breastpump as it can save you lots of time and trouble. If you plan you exclusively breastpump and feed consider investing in a dual breastpump. If not then a single one or a manual breastpump is also fine.
- Learn to use a breastpump, it may not be as simple as it may look. You can watch plenty of videos online for how to use a breast pump. Once your breasts are correctly sucked by the cup you can start pumping.
- Get comfortable, grab a snack or a book. Pumping is equivalent to Breastfeeding so minus the baby you still have to sit for 30 mins or so to extract milk. And when you do this every 2-3 hour interval it can become monotonous.
- Pump more to get more, it’s a simple theory of demand and supply. So by breastpumping you are creating a demand and hence you get more supply. If you are Breastfeeding and breastpumping then first feed your baby and then pump the rest. If exclusively breastpumping them simple extract all the milk from one Breast then moving to the next.
- Clean the breastpumping equipment frequently.
- Keep yourself hydrated, rest enough, give your back some downtime breastpumping can be tiring.
- Invest in good bra that supports your breasts.
The opinions, ideas, views expressed in this article is solely my experience based in hope to help new mom’s. Kindly excercise caution and self judgment.
This blog is a part of the #Let’s Blog with Pri, Season 2.
The Blog hop cum blog train starts from the 14th of August and lasts for four weeks, where we publish one blog per week! This blog is my submission for Week 2.
Checkout my blogger friends Arti’s Post on why you should drink water from a copper bottle and Cindy’s post on how to wear mask but don’t forget who you really are behind it.
And also our gracious host Prisha’s post on Dealing with ‘Mom, I want to marry you’
If you like this post please like & share it and leave your valuable comments. You can follow my Facebook page to join me in my food journey. If you wish to replicate this post please link back with due credits.
Connect with me on Social Media
This post may contains affiliate links, if you choose to buy anything by clicking on it will help me earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.