So hers the truth; I used to suck at making poha a year from now. Nope could not get it right- sometime too dry and sometime too mushy. I even burnt my onions one time and it tasted so bad. Not a pretty pic. Does that happen to you too??
Growing up in the north I wasn’t well acquainted with Poha. Its more of a Mumbai breakfast. My breakfast included lot of parathas and egg. But I can say now I make killer Poha like any yummy poha stall you can find maybeee better😉…..too much. OK enough with self praising 😂😂😂
So before beginning with recipe some of the special tips & tricks⤵
- Lets start with onions first. I like my poha with chunkier onions but some put really finely chopped onions.
- If using potato’s I would always go for boiled potatoes. It make poha making super easy and quick. Although its optional and a personal choice.
- If you are using raw potato’s toss them together with onions so you don’t end up with burnt onions. Also chop the potato’s finely.
- I have added frozen peas which I have thawed for 5 mins in boiling water. If using fresh cook them sperately to avoid raw peas in you poha.
- I do also like to add veggies sometimes like carrots, capsicum, French beans all finely chopped. Toss them all with onions only.
- Now a special tip for soaking poha- just wash them till it gets wet in a strainer and leave. Timings is important here. There should be enough moisture in the poha to be fluffy not mushy or dry. Its best to soak poha when you have chopped everything and ready to go.
- The typical poha is sweet and spicy hence green chilies and sugar.
- If at some point after making poha you feel its too dry add 1/4 cup of water and cover. You will see the poha puffing up.
- You can also add some roasted and crushed peanut for crunch. And it tastes soooo good.
- In the end I like a good squeeze of lemon, optional. But traditionally poha is sweet, spicy & tangy. My suggestion would be to try it once.
So these were some of my tips for you. I absolutely love making poha now and I make it at least once in a week. Hope these little tips and tricks help you as well. Please leave your valuable comments if you also do have something to tell me about poha making😀
Let’s begin with recipe.
3 cups poha soaked(See tips)
2 onions roughly chopped
3/4 cup peas( frozen or fresh-see tips)
1 green chili
1 tsp mustard seeds
Handful of curry leaves
Salt as per taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3/4 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp sugar(or more if you like)
Fresh coriander for garnish
Juice of half lemon
Heat oil in a large pan. Toss the curry leaves, mustard seed and green chili.
Wait for 10 sec and add onions. Saute till soft.
Now add peas and all the masalas & sugar. Cook till the masala is cooked.
Add the poha. Mix until combined. Switch off the gas. Sprinkle lemon juice and give one last stir. Covet and let it rest for 5 min.
Its ready to serve.
If you like this recipe please like it and leave your valuable comments. You can follow my Facebook page to join me in my food journey. If you wish to replicate this recipe please link back to this post.
Share this post if you like it.