Vadiya is sun dried spicy lentil dumplings that are cooked in a variety of ways.
One such recipe is Punjabi Vadiya Da Pulav/Pilaf.
Warm spices in the vadiya with onions and peas makes a delicious meals. We like to serve it with pickle, some curd, salad and coriander chutney.
You can buy vadiya in any Indian grocery shop.
My mom went to Amritsar last year and got some authentic vadiya for me. And I am savoring every bit of it.
I know it took me a while to cook something with it. You know there are some dishes so mom specific that I could get around the fact that I am a mom now and I have to cook with them too?? Awwhh feeling nostalgic.
Recipe for coriander chutney ?
Recipe for homemade clarified butter/ghee ?
Other similar recipes to try-
- Punjabi Chole
- Punjabi Rajma Masala
- Punjabi Arbi Ki Sabji
- Mushroom Matar Masala
- Paneer Butter Masala
- Soya Chunks Pulav
- Royal Vegetable Gatta Pulav
- Farhan Ka Pulav
Directions to Make Punjabi Vadiya Da Pulav/Pilaf-
- 3-4 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup matar/peas
- 3 -4 red onions sliced
- 1 cup Vadiyan
- 1 cup rice
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- Freshly chopped coriander for garnish
- Firstly wash the rice and soak in double the amount of rice. S for 1 cup rice soak in 2 cups water. Keep aside.
- Now smash the vadiyan in smaller pieces.
- Heat a wok or kadai and add 2 tbsp ghee. Fry the wadiyans till golden. Take out in a plate and keep aside. This helps in releasing the aroma of spices in it from drying. Also to give nice color.
- Now pour the rest of the ghee and add cumin seeds, onions and cook until onions are soft.
- Now add pea/matar and saute for another 2 mins.
- Finally add the vadiyan, salt, turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
- Cook until the spices are cooked. About 1 mins. If the spices starts to burn add splashes of water to prevent that.
- In the last stage add the rice with water, stir. Cover and cook until the rice is cooked. (around 15-20 mins on low flame)
- Sprinkle the fresh coriander and serve hot.
Cant make now!!!
Pin It Here For Later
If you like this recipe please like it and leave your valuable comments. You can follow my Facebook page to join me in my food journey. If you wish to replicate this recipe please link back to this post.
Share this post if you like it.⤵