How to Make Paneer/Cottage cheese is your complete guide to making Paneer.
There is no comparisons of fresh homemade paneer to the store bought one. I know such families where paneer is made fresh every morning and consumed raw every morning. Paneer is also a base for a lot of Indian dessert and snack recipes.
It’s such a staple source of protein that you’ve got to know how to do it.
But most importantly making Paneer moist and not chewy is important. How to do that I will share further in my post. So firstly
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE HOMEMADE FRESH PANEER/ COTTAGE CHEESE-
1. Full fat Milk 2ltrs
2. Curd 250gms(For Method 1)
3. Lemon 2 nos.(For Method 2)
4. Vinegar 1/2 cup(For Method 3)
5. 2 tsp salt (optional)
Things to know before making paneer/Cottage cheese-
1. Boil the milk as you would. After boiling let it rest for about 5 mins. Keep stirring in between so that the cream doesn’t settle on the surface and mix with the milk only. This will ensure in making creamy paneer.
2. You can use fresh curd or a bit sour curd. If using sour curd the measurements above will be applicable. But for fresh curd a little more would be used.
3. When using vinegar wash the paneer when ready to use or set to remove the acidic taste from it. Same case with lemon.
4. Salt is optional but it gives nice taste to paneer (rest assured it will not be salty either).
5. The residue left after making paneer is very nutritious. You can use it to knead dough, use in curries or stews or drink as chaas.
Directions on How to make paneer/cottage cheese-
Add curd(lemon/vineger) to the boiled milk. In few second it will curdle.
Let it cook for another 60 sec.
**Now for special trick to make moist paneer/ cottage cheese- simply leave the cuddled milk alone for a few hours. Anywhere between 4-5 hours or overnight in refrigerator both is fine.
So if you want to make bhurji simply drain and use.
To set it drain in a muslin cloth and place it in the back of a bowl. Place some heavy object on top. Leave for an hour and see that your homemade paneer/ cottage cheese is set. Now refrigerate for 4 hours at least to set.
Cut it in cubes and use as per recipe.
If you like this recipe please like it and leave your valuable comments. You can follow my Facebook page to join me in my food journey. If you wish to replicate this recipe please link back to this post.
Share this post if you like it.