There is something about KFC fried chicken that I am drooling just at the mention of it. I fondly remember going to KFC in college and enjoying the chicken. Even then I wondered how they would make the KFC chicken so tender, moist and delicious.
Its only now that I realized how easy it is to make the same chicken at home. So lets begin.
Important points to remember when making KFC Style Fried Chicken-
- Marination which is even called brining the chicken. So chicken is basically dunked completely in buttermilk preferably overnight or at least 6 hours. What that does is it tenderizes the chicken and keeps it moist. So when you fry the chicken you get a juicy and tender chicken like no other.
- The spices which are most important as that’s what the chicken will get flavor from. The spices like onion powder, garlic powder and paprika are important. Try to use all the spices in recipe.
- Seasoning the flour is very important. Its basically like double spices but you wont taste that in the fried chicken. But it makes so much difference when you eat the chicken. But remember to balance salt as you can easily add more salt.
- Use flour or bread crumbs is totally option. Using flour can make the chicken dough-y if excess flour is not removed. But it gives the original recipe flavor. Some prefer using bread crumbs but I prefer them only when I want to bake the chicken.
- Type of chicken is important too. Use chicken legs, thighs will give the best results.
This Homemade Chicken Bouillon Powder by glendaembree.com is also a great addition to flavor chicken in this recipe.
More similar recipes-
Directions to Make KFC Style Fried Chicken-
KFC Style Fried chicken that is a KFC copy cat chicken recipe that is brined and then fried. The chicken comes out tender, juicy and moist.
- 750 gm chicken thighs and drumsticks(legs)
- 2 cup buttermilk see notes for recipe
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 & 1/2 tsp paprika or red chilli powder
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp mix seasoning of oregano, thyme and basil or use pizza seasoning
- 3/4 tsp all spice or garam masala powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder that has more color
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 egg white
- 3-4 cups oil for frying
Marinate the chicken with buttermilk and salt preferable overnight for best results or at least 6 hours.
Drain the buttermilk out of chicken and place in another bowl.
Add the egg white and all the spices under spice mix.
Mix well and keep aside for 30 mins.
Till then in a wide bowl add the flour and mix all the spices under flour coating mix. Mix well and keep aside.
Heat the oil to 180C. If you don't have a thermometer then we need medium high heat for frying.
To fry chicken just take the spice marinated chicken and flour it generously. Once coated pat dry the extra flour and place in the the pan for frying.
Cook for 2 mins each side(my pieces were medium size, adjust according to your chicken cut size).
Drain on kitchen napkin and wait for 5 mins before serving.
I like to sprinkle some chaat masala on top for extra tangy flavor.
Enjoy your KFC style fried chicken.
To make buttermilk mix 1 cup curd or yougurt and mix 1 cup water. Mix well with a whisk to make it smooth. This makes 2 cup of buttermilk.
Pin it here for later-
If you like this post please like & share it and leave your valuable comments. You can follow my Facebook page where I share lots more. If you wish to replicate this post please link back with due credits.
You can also send me your pictures of the recipe if you try and I would love to feature you on my Social Media Pages. Sharing your feedback always makes me happy and motivated me to create more such content.
This post may contains affiliate links, if you choose to buy anything by clicking on it will help me earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.