Mangalorean Sukka Chicken is native to Mangalore and Udupi in South India.
It’s full of dry spices and grated coconut with a mild hit of spiciness. If you love such curries this may become a regular at your place.
Other chicken recipes on the blog similar to this?
And some from my blogger friends ?
Please click on the picture for recipe.
Directions to make Mangalorean Sukka Chicken-
Mangalorean Sukka Chicken is native to Mangalore and Udupi in South India. The recipe uses fresh coconut & lots of whole spices.
- 750 gm chicken cleaned and patted dry
- 3 medium onions sliced
- 7-8 garlic pods
- 7-8 curry leaves
- 1 cup grated coconut
- Salt as per taste
- 4-5 dry Kashmiri red chillies
- 1 &1/2 tsp coriander seeds dhaniya seeds
- 4-6 while black peppercorns kali mirchi
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds methi
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds sauf
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2-3 garlic pods
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp tamarind imli
- Dry roast all the ingredients under to fry- Coriander, whole pepper, fenugreek, fennel, cumin, cinnamon and clove first.
- I want to extract the natural oil from them. But please make sure you don't over roast them as they will ruin the taste of curry when grinded and cooked.
- Now add the dry red chillies when all the dry roasting is almost done.
- Now add about 2 tbsp of oil in the same pan and add in garlic & half the onions. Fry till you get slightly caramaziled onions.
- In the end add turmeric powder. Mix well. Keep aside and let it cool.
- Once cooled add 1/4 coconut puree and tamarind piece; grind into fine paste. Usually it's not ok to put water while
Now for finally curry making heat oil in a pan and brown the rest of the onions.
Add chicken prices, curry leaves and salt as per taste. Fry on high flame for about 5 mins.
Now add the masala and 1 cup water and cook on low flame till the chicken is cooked and you get a semi dry gravy.
Add in the rest of the coconut. Mix well. It's ready to serve. Enjoy!!
**please ready all the ingredients before you start making and this will be the easiest chicken dish that you may try. And something different too.
Can’t make it now. Pin it here for later ??
If you like this recipe please like & share it and leave your valuable comments. You can follow my Facebook page to join me in my food journey. If you wish to replicate this recipe please link back to this post.
You can also send me your pictures of the recipe if you try and I would love to feature you on my Social Media Pages. Sharing your feedback always makes me happy and motivated me to create more such content.
This post contains affiliate links, if you choose to buy anything by clicking on it will help me earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Share this post if you like it.⤵