Have you ever tried baking your own bread. It may feel like a big task; but if you like baking you’ve got to try this. You need just hand full of ingredients and you are all set for baking your own bread. Even more interesting is that making wholewheat bread is not big of a task.
The original recipe was posted here- https://www.paarulzkitchen.com/guest-post-treat-yourself-with-100-wholewheat-masala-bread-by-avin-s-kohli/
Baking is my passion. I try to include healthy ingredients in my bakes so that it benefits my family and I have lot of friends that I gift these healthy bakes too.
This time I tried my hands on 100% Wholewheat Masala Bread and it was a success.
This masala bread has goodness of wholewheat and familiar flavors from our spice box. A basic wholewheat bread basically has 7 basic ingredients.
And I have added the rest of the masala as per my taste. The bread has a subtle taste of garlic and a hit of chili, the turmeric gives a nice yellow color.
If you are new to bread baking then you should give my post a read where I share how to make basic white bread plus tips for a successful bread baking.
Directions to make 100% Wholewheat Bread-
3 cups whole wheat flour/atta
1 tsp instant yeast
2 tsp gluten powder
3-4 tsp olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
250 ml lukewarm water to knead the dough (use as per requirement)
4 tbsp milk powder (optional)
for the masala-
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1&1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chili flakes
- In a big bowl add flour, salt, sugar, milk powder, gluten powder and yeast. Mix.
- Now slowly add lukewarm water and start kneading until you get a soft dough. At this stage you can use the oil and knead further.
** The key to a soft bread is to knead it for at least 5-7 min. The dough should be elastic but not sticky.
- Leave the dough to rest for 90 mins or until double(not more that 2 hours).
- Melt the butter and add all the masala. Keep aside.
- Grease your tin nicely on all the edges and sides. Place a baking/parchment paper on the bottom.
- After 90 mins punch down the dough and add the butter masala.
- Shape in a log as per the size of your baking tin. For this lay some flour on a clean surface and start rolling the dough in a rectangle which matches your tin size. Now from one end start bringing the dough inside and pinch the seam as you go and continue till the end. You will get a log. Carefully place it in the greased tin.
** Make sure to pinch otherwise the bread may break when slicing.
- Now leave it to rest again for 30 mins or till its doubled.
- In the resting period preheat your oven for 15 mins at 180C.
- Bake for 30 mins.
- Take the bread out of oven and let it rest for 5 mins. After that gently loosen the bread from the sides and flip.
- Rest on a wire rack until complete cool.
- Now cover with a cling film or any soft cloth and let it rest.
- For best results, slice the bread after 24 hours. Enjoy!
Pin it here for later-
This bread has soft slices, slightly heavy than a normal maida bread with a firm exterior; but certainly healthy and tasty.