If your baby has turned 6 months or is about to reach the “official” age then this post is for you; because its time to introduce solids to babies.
As a first time mom it can be daunting to start. Not knowing the best first foods or is your baby ready to start solids?
So we will talk about introducing solids to Babies how to start.
- Start by checking if your baby is ready to eat solids.
- If yes then start by giving 2 tbsp of any baby cereal to begin with.
- 2 tbsp may seem less but babies tummies are very small.
- And also the food is not to fill there tummies but to practice eating food.
- Their tongue reflex does not allow them to take solids inside. But as they grow older it reduces making them ready for solids.
- Initially you will see that baby will barely take food inside and may spit most of it but that’s ok.
- It’s a new experience for them. It can take anywhere from 3days to 3 weeks for them to figure out that they have to take the food inside. All babies are different. Let them set the pace.
- And once they do understand feeding will be a breeze.
- Baby food consistency should be runny and free of any lumps so that it solids easily in their mouth.
- Check here for list of baby’s first foods.
- It’s best if babies eat homemade and fresh foods.
- Always offer babies same food and at same timing till the time they start understanding it’s food. Don’t worry they are too small to get bored with the same food.
- Do not every reheat a cereal.
- Once babies have starting taking little food you can give them variety.
- Always remember 3 day rule.
- Offer the same thing for 3 days so as to rule out any allergies. Once clear start will another food item.
- Start with single grains, fruit or veg that are easy to digest. Later on as they grow older you can experiment with mixing 2 or more ingredients.
- The older you baby gets they will be pro at eating solids.
- If for any reason baby is rejecting a certain food just leave it. Try again after 2 weeks. Till then move on to another food item.
- You don’t need special cutlery for introducing Solids. Just a simple bowl and round spoon will work. Will link some of my favourite items at the end of the post. Babies don’t really care about fancy cutlery.
- But you can use the same cutlery everytime so that they know it’s meal time.
These tips mainly work till 7 months. Then you can start playing with the food consistency and mixing two foods together; meaning transition from liquid food to puree food. Don’t delay this a lot otherwise babies tend to resist pureed food.
Parents should decide what to eat and babies should decide how much to eat.
This useful tip was shared with me by my baby’s Pediatrician. And I always tried to stick to it.
At times you may feel your baby isn’t eating enough or is eating a lot. In most cases everything is normal. All babies are different. If you feel something odd always bring that up on you next doctors visit.
Also keep the meal time strictly for food. Don’t pretend play or give them toys. If you want to distract them give them a spoon.
No play with toy or any screen time while eating.
Please ensure your baby sits upright. I find highchair an extremely important resource to invest in. Trust me it’s a life saver.
Always share what babies are eating, talk to them about food this will help them know their food and is very beneficial later on in word building.
I hope you found these tips useful. Making pointers make it easy for you to understand. If you have any questions or advice do leave them in comments.
Please remember this is not a professional advice just a real mom of two advice.
The opinions, ideas, views expressed in this article is solely my experience based in hope to help new mom’s. Kindly excercise caution and self judgment.
If you like this post please like & share it and leave your valuable comments. You can follow my Facebook page to join me in my food journey. If you wish to replicate this post please link back with due credits.
Connect with me on Social Media
This post contains affiliate links, if you choose to buy anything by clicking on it will help me earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.