One of our family fav is Punjabi Kadhi Pakora where a batter of curd and besan is made with spices and added to a quick onions tempering.
It’s one of the easiest recipes in the Punjabi cuisine but somehow a little tricky to get it right.
Things to know before starting –
• The ratio of curd and besan is the key. Adding too much besan can lead to a thick and gluggy kadhi(=not tempting).
• Curd needs to be naturally sour. Meaning no souring agent like lemon or kairi or amchur or imli will work. For this you can leave the curd that you already have outside for overnight or for min 8 hours and that should make the curd sour.
• The pakora are made and should be put directly to the kadhi after frying. That way they absorb the kadhi well and become soft and melt in mouth.
• Adding onions to kadhi is optional but everyone has their way to adding them. Some prefer in kadhi and some put only in pakora and some in both. Use as per your preference.
So let’s begin.
Directions to make Punjabi Kadhi Pakora-
Punjabi Kadhi Pakora made with curd and besan. Serve with rice.
- 5-6 Tbsp Oil
- 1/4 Tsp Hing
- 1 Tsp Jeera
- 1/4 Tsp Rai
- 2 Red onions sliced
- 1 Tbsp Ginger garlic paste (can used chopped too)
- 1 Cup Curd
- 2-3 Tbsp Besan
- Salt As per taste
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 Tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 Tbsp Coriander powder
- Garam masala As per taste
- 1 Cup Besan
- Salt as per taste
- Green chillies as per taste
- Few pinches Garam masala
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 Potato finely chopped
Mix all the ingredients under kadhi batter and keep aside.
Mix all the ingredients under kadhi pakora and keep aside.
Prepare the ingredients of tempering before starting.
In a heavy bottom vessel heat oil.
Add hing, jeera and rai. You can add curry leaves or tej patta here.
Add the onions. Saute till they are soft. Mix ginger garlic paste. Cook for about a min.
Pour the kadhi batter. Add about 2 glasses of water. Mix everything. Partially cover. And let it. Cook until your kadhi thickens and besan cooks.
Heat oil on the side and cook the pakora. Dunk them directly to the kadhi.
Enjoy with rice and onions on side.
Pin it here for later??