In the heart of any Punjabi household chole Masala is a every week affair. My family can’t go beyond 10 days at the least to eat this delicious curry.
So today I am sharing my family recipe for Punjabi Chole Masala.
Like any household these is no set recipe to cook an authentic dish. Everyone might have some or the other twist to this classic recipe.
It includes a masala of onion, ginger, garlic and some spices.
Enjoying chole with puri is another classic choice. Or for my overseas friends who follow my recipes, its a simple chickpea curry with spices and a masala and is enjoyed with a puri which is like a fried puffed flatbread.
So there is basically two types of general ways you can make a masala. One I will mention in this recipe and the other is this. Click on the post to read it.
Some info before you start:
- The measurement are approximate for ingredients. If you like you can add more or reduce the quantity as per your taste.
- Chole or Chickpea need to be soaked before using. 1 cup chickpea will be 2 cups after soaking for 6-8 hours.
- If using canned one measure 3/4 to 1 cup per person.
- For Indian curry recipes always use red onions and tomatoes that a more plum(more flesh).
Serves – 4 to 5
Directions to Make Punjabi Chole Masala-
2 cups soaked chickpea/ chole
2 large onions roughly chopped
1 tbsp ginger paste
1 tbsp garlic paste
1 tbsp of minced chilies(use as per your preference)
3-4 large tomatoes
8-10 tbsp oil to fry masala
1 tsp jeera/ cumin seeds
Salt as per taste
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp coriander powder
2-3 tsp Chole Masala(curry powder)
In a heavy bottom pan heat oil.
Add cumin seeds. Let it crackle.
Then add the onions, garlic, ginger and chilies.
Cook until onions a light brown.
Add in the tomatoes. Cook until soft.
Add salt and all the masala.
Now add the chickpea.
* If using canned chickpea, add directly with the water. Let it cook till the curry is well combined. At least for 15-20 mins.
** If using soaking method, simply pressure cook till chickpea is cooked.
I have served my Punjabi Chole Masala with Puri, Pickle, onion rings and yogurt.
Pin it for later ⬇
If you like this recipe please like it and leave your valuable comments. You can follow my Facebook page to join me in my food journey. If you wish to replicate this recipe please link back to this post.
Share this post if you like it.⤵